What are Scleral Lenses?
Scleral contact lenses are one of the most remarkable pieces of technology in our modern eye care era. They are certainly one of the most comfortable contact lenses in the world, and the vision that our patients are achieving is exceeding every expectation we imagined. Most importantly, the safety of this contact lens is the primary reason we continue to make this our first choice for our corneal-compromised patients.
- Cover the entire corneal surface
- Rest on the sclera, or “white,” of the eye
- Are larger and more stable than conventional gas permeable (GP) lenses
- Are less likely to dislodge accidentally
- Are more comfortable than conventional GP lenses
- Provide initial comfort similar to or better than soft lenses
- Are an excellent choice for sensitive eyes or irregularly-shaped corneas
If you want to wear contact lenses, but have had trouble wearing them in the past, or you’ve been told you are not the right candidate for contacts, scleral contact lenses may be the solution you are looking for. These lenses are now available in bifocal designs too.
These large-diameter GP lenses offer the same advantages of conventional GP lenses compared with soft contacts, including:
- Sharper vision
- Greater durability
- Easier handling
- Less risk of complications
- Longer life of the contact lens
We always offer a 90 day, unconditional guarantee for all contact lenses. Our team understands that you may have been to many doctors and attempted various lens types that may have failed or compromised comfort or vision in the past. We know the “ghost images” and “double images” that you have experienced with other contact lenses. We know you have been told that you are getting the best vision possible and that “that is the best we could obtain.” At Insight Complete Eye Care, we feel we can offer you something better – the best vision you have ever experienced.
Simply call the office and schedule a consultation to see if you are a good candidate for these remarkable contact lens technologies. Remember, insurance will often cover 100% of these medically necessary contact lenses if you qualify. Call (214) 739-8611 to schedule your appointment or to learn more about our unique care.
- Irregular corneas. Vision problems caused by an irregularly shaped cornea — whether naturally occurring due to an eye condition such as keratoconus, or resulting from eye surgery — typically cannot be adequately corrected with glasses or soft contact lenses.
- Hard-to-fit eyes. If your eyes cannot be comfortably fitted with conventional GP lenses, scleral lenses can provide a more comfortable and secure fit.
- Dry eyes. If your eyes are too dry for conventional contact lenses, scleral lenses can help.
Scleral lenses are custom-made to the exact specifications prescribed by your eye doctor to provide the best possible vision, eye health, and comfort.
Automated scanning laser measuring tools and imaging devices are used to fit scleral lenses.
For these reasons, professional fees associated with fitting scleral lenses and lens replacement costs are higher for scleral lenses than other contact lenses.
Often, insurance will provide coverage for these medically necessary contact lenses and professional service fees if you qualify. Over 80% of our patients have full insurance coverage for medically necessary contact lenses, and we are providers for many insurance providers. Please call our experienced staff at (214) 739-8611 to schedule an appointment or learn more.